Cinematography Expert. (Maybe Not.)

   There are some times where I consider myself an adventurous person. New roller coaster? Sure. Subject in school I know nothing about? Psh why not. Dance classes for no reason with no experience? Ha sounds fun. But in other areas, I'm not quite as adventurous. I'm not the person to try that food that looks weird. Or, even one to drift apart from my regular fashion style or look for even a short bit. (I'm picky on some of my clothes and how they fit, alright? Don't judge.) But this week I tried something completely new. Something I have absolutely no experience in, and it was frightening. I mean, I might have heard of computer science in a television show before, but had no idea the meaning of the subject when I signed up for the class. I had seen previews of the new roller coaster, even if I'd never been on it before. But this new thing was completely different. I had no where to begin. I didn't have a clue at what I had gotten myself into, but I knew I couldn't back out. I had made a promise, and I had to follow through with it. Even if it meant complete awkwardness on my part and possible disaster for their part. I was going to video a wedding.


   I love weddings. I love the thought of love, and pretty dresses and fancy hairstyles, and flowers and decorations and food and dancing (See, now that I know how to dance, I find it more fun). When going to a wedding as a guest, I love to take pictures to save for later. To remember the bride's beautiful gown, and the delicious cake, and to keep in mind for my own wedding for later in the future (much, much, MUCH later). But videoing isn't my thing. My older brother does the videoing. Jonathan knows how to work a video camera, while I take some action on the still shots. So when I got a call from a family friend a month ago, asking for a videographer for her niece's wedding, I was at lost for words. Apparently she asked my very capable and video-talented brother if he would do it, but he had college classes the day of the wedding, so I was the backup. I have no idea why though, being that my experience in videographing is like, ZERO. But knowing that it wasn't going to be a huge wedding, and knowing how much it would mean for this aunt, as well as the bride and groom, I couldn't help but say "yes".

   After plenty of conversations between this aunt and myself, trying to figure out what camera to use and how the setup would work and all this fun stuff, I thought I was ready for this very exciting wedding day. It was out by the beach, and it was beautiful. The sun was shining, and there was a wonderful breeze so everyone wasn't sweating too too much, and it was a lovely day for a wedding.

  As you can tell in the picture, the water was right behind the arch where the ceremony was to happen. It was beautiful: the entire wedding. They sang hymns as the bridal party came down and back the isle (LOVE). As the ceremony went on, I just continued to be in awe of the bride and groom. You could tell by the way they looked at each other, that they really loved another. I barely knew anything about the couple except their names and what they looked like, and I could tell during the ceremony that they loved each other and it was real love. They would exchange longingly looks at each other the entire time and I was just thinking the entire time: "UGH I LOVE LOVE". I know I'm an extremely emotional person and I'm all about the lovey dovey stuff, and this wedding had me doing flips. I said it before and I'll say it again: I seriously love weddings.

  I unfortunately have no photo evidence of the actual ceremony because I was doing my job and being responsible and not using my phone... (I know, boring. But I didn't wanna get fired...) But I promise, it was beautiful. And I don't really wanna brag at all, but I think I did a good job being that I had no idea what I was doing 12 hours ago. But thankfully, I talked to the bride beforehand and she told me where she wanted me set up, and I had plenty of advice given to me from my brother that morning, so I was prepared (kinda).

   After the wedding ceremony and lots of laughs and hugs later, the majority of the crowd moved to the pavilion down the road for the reception. I knew only a few people at the wedding, so the reception was somewhat awkward for me. But I knew it would be, because who doesn't feel awkward when you're somewhere where you don't fit in? I mean, honestly, you couldn't lie about that if you tried. Everyone's been there. And I was definitely in that position. I walked around and looked at the decor, which was absolutely adorable and lovely by the way. I just stood at the side and watched people socialize, the kids dance, and silently sung along with the music playing (they played Ed Sheeran + Plain White Ts; I couldn't pass up the opportunity). As people I knew came in, I would wave or talk to them for a bit, but I was just waiting for 1) the bride and groom to come back from taking pictures, and 2) the food line to open up. I was starving!
   I eventually found myself putting my job to good use and videoing the reception area, and the act of everyone in motion and doing their own thing. I videoed people at the cutsie drink table. (They had chocolate milk and striped vintage straws. I am in love with this wedding.) I also checked out the cute photobooth, but didn't take any photos being that I had no one to take pictures with + I had no one to take my picture. But watching the other wedding guests take a spin at the booth was very entertaining.

   After what seemed like forever, the bride and groom finally entered the building. Everyone applauded, and the maid of honor made a little speech about the food, which everyone definitely paid attention to being that everyone was hungry. The father of the bride said a blessing over the food, and people hurried and lined up for breakfast. They had scrambled eggs, brisket + bbq sauce, and pancakes + all the fixings. It was heavenly. I sat with some friends and listened to their conversations while I chowed down. I know socializing is a good thing, but I really wanted to eat. I mean, anyone can look at that food table and their mouth water. While breakfast was being served and devoured (I know that's a strong word, but I promise everyone was licking their plates by the end of it. DE-LISH.), the bride's father grabbed his guitar and his trusty musician buddy, and they played some casual and enjoyable music for us. It was really relaxing and lovely to listen to live music, which is a rare occurrence at weddings nowadays. I wish I could've given you a sample of the music, but I never thought of it while I was eating (sorry, otherwise preoccupied).

After breakfast came dessert, and it did not disappoint. I videotaped the cake cutting + eating process, and it was so cute. The bride + groom were very cute and coupley, which is always enjoyable to watch, and seeing them reluctantly shove cake in each other's face was something you just had to be there to see. It was priceless. But the cupcakes were amazing. I had a chocolate + mint cupcake, and it made me realize that I need to eat more of those more often. They were so good!

   Going to this wedding was such a lovely experience for multiple reasons. One reason, was that I love weddings and being able to go to another one was definitely a bonus. Reason #2, was that I felt like an adult. I know I'm only 17 and still haven't gotten my license yet, but being that I was there alone and I had to take care of myself was honestly very inviting. I liked being a grown up for those few hours and being able to enjoy myself. It was like a bigger version of prom, though people weren't celebrating school being over, but people committing their lives to each other for eternity.

   I would say my favorite part of going to this wedding was the realization I had for enjoying new things. I had never been to a wedding by myself before, and I had never videographed a wedding ever. 2 firsts that I really enjoyed. I didn't really like having to wake up at 6:30am to get there in time, but I did what I had to and I would say it was worth it. But I really did enjoy trying some new things. I would say that that won't be the last time to try something new. Maybe I should step out of my comfort zone a little more than just school subjects and roller coasters. Maybe I should step back and take a bigger picture at what I should do after I graduate high school. Maybe I should make some changes or be a little more adventurous before the summer ends. I'm not quite sure what that even means now, but I know that I want to try it out and see where it takes me. It could be a disaster for sure, but it could also lead to something wonderful. And who doesn't like a little wonder every once and a while?

Becca   ~xoxo~

Comments

Popular Posts